Geoprocessing is an essential aspect of GIS that provides the ability to analyze and process geographic data. Geoprocessing tools can be accessed in ArcGIS via ArcToolbox, Model Builder, or Python scripts. Model Builder and Python allow automation and documentation of analysis workflows and processes. ModelBuilder provides a graphical modeling framework for designing and implementing geoprocessing models that can include system tools, scripts, models, and data. This class discusses how ModelBuilder can be used to create advanced procedures and workflows. Models can then be converted to Python scripts. Python is the standard scripting language for ArcGIS. These scripts allow for even greater automation flexibility and integration with other software and processes. This class will cover basic concepts needed to create, modify and run Python Geoprocessing Scripts. Class will include quizzes for each lesson, a final exam and a final project which will make use of the skills learned.
This course is intended for ArcGIS Desktop users who want to use ModelBuilder and Python Scripts to make their geoprocessing tasks more streamlined and efficient.
ONLINE INSTRUCTOR LED COURSES
Each course is interactive with the instructor during each lesson. It is like being in a traditional classroom without having to leave the comfort of your home or office.
Students are required to meet with the instructor online on Tuesday & Thursday evenings from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm Central Standard Time.
SOFTWARE USED IN COURSE
This course is designed to work with the following software: ArcGIS Desktop Basic (Formerly ArcView)10; ArcGIS Desktop Standard (Formerly ArcEditor)10; ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (Formerly ArcInfo)10
After successfully completing this course, you will have acquired an understanding of building simple models and scripts using Model Builder and Python. These new skills include:
• Creating Custom Toolboxes
• Creating Models & Python Scripts
• Creating Custom Tool help
• Sharing Models and Scripts
• Setting Parameters in a Model
• Working with Intermediate data
• Adding Results to Your Display
• Introduction to the Python programming language
• Accessing basic geoprocessing tools using Python scripts
1. Exploring Geoprocessing in ArcGIS & the Geoprocessing environment
2. Introduction to Model Builder
3. Setting Environmental Variables and Parameters inside a model
4. Creating Help and other documentation for Models
5. Converting Models to a Python Script
6. Introduction to Python Scripting with ArcGIS Desktop